Monday, March 19, 2007

D & C

Last Friday and Saturday, I was feeling a lot of pain and pressure in my abdomen. On Saturday night and again on Sunday night I ended up calling the Dr. on call to see if something was wrong. On Saturday, he told me it was probably afterbirth pains since it correlated with nursing and told me to take my pain medication before nursing, On Sunday our branch presidency came over to visit, and Ben gave me a blessing. He said something to the effect of the Doctors would be able to find and correct the problem and everything would be all right. On Sunday night, I had what felt like a horrible contraction that seized up for about 15 minutes. It brought me to tears, I thought it was appendicitis. It subsided and when I called the Dr. again he told me I should come in on Monday. I went in Mon. afternoon, and saw Dr. Taft, who was so thorough and good! He examined me, and pulled out some blood clots, then suggested we have an ultrasound to see if there was more. It turned out that my uterus was full of blood clots or maybe some placental tissue and he gave me the option of going to the hospital the next day to have it removed with anesthesia, or doing it right there in the office. I chose to have it out right then. I was tough! He sucked out the blood while the ultrasound tech showed what he was doing. They got as much out as they could, seemed like all, and he gave me some prescriptions to help my uterus contract, antibiotic, and pain pills. He performed a D & C. I thought those were only for miscarriages, but I learned different that day. I felt so relieved to know that we had caught the problem before it became a real problem. I felt much better after that also. On Friday, I went in again and he said the pathology report came back clear (no placental tissue) and that things should be good now. Hurray, I feel so grateful that I had a conscientious doctor. Baby Caroline is doing well also.

No comments: